Crystal Bridges Event Calendar
Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art offers a wide range of activities for all ages and interests.
Use our interactive museum calendar to find what fits your schedule and plan your visit!
- This event has passed.
Art Night Out » Celebrate Soul of a Nation
King Britt Premieres Peace, Love, Joy: Sonic Journey
All ages are invited to celebrate the reopening of Crystal Bridges’ permanent galleries and the temporary exhibition Soul of a Nation: Art In the Age of Black Power! Join us for an action-packed experience that brings the galleries to life with theater, poetry, and games. Kicking off the night are popular Memphis dancers in hip-hop and jookin, G-NERD and Dra’em.
Come to the world premiere of Philadelphia’s popular composer and DJ King Britt, who reveals a three-part sonic experience inspired by the Soul of a Nation exhibition. Britt’s program includes Peace of the Soul—a sound meditation in the Great Hall from 6:30-8 pm that utilizes historic black speeches as mantras, creating a form of radical self-care. Love of Ra—a dedication to AfroFuturist hero Sun Ra from 8 to 9 p.m. mixing Ra’s recordings with electronic visual performances by King Britt and collaborator Jason Senk. Joy of the Soul—a dance party celebration by King Britt from 9:30-11:30 pm.
The local artist line up and activities includes:
- Short play by playwright Rachel Lynett, performed by artist and recent U of A grad Nilufar “Nilly” Zaifi, in front of Nari Ward’s We the People
- Umoja Soul and the Poetic Justice Open Mic
- Jukeboxx, Soul 1970s Cover Band
- University of Arkansas Inspirational Soul Band
- Octavio Logo, Live Painting
- Hubert Neal and Visual Poets Society, Live Painting
- Make & Take Artwork
- Word Power Buttons by the Teen Council
- Gallery Scavenger Hunt
- Short Films Curated by the Fayetteville Black Artist Collective
$10 ($8/members), FREE to ages 18 and under. Register online or with Guest Services.
Sponsored by JTH Productions, iHeart Media, AMP Sign & Banner, and Blue Moon Brewing Company.